United Nations has declared 21st June as International Yoga Day. So we as Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh also wants to raise awareness about this day across the United States. We have aimed to create an unbroken wave of Suryanamaskar starting with Sun rise in East to the Sun set in West. So on day of 21st June , the whole journey of SUN from East coast to West coast will be complemented by our Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar in Sanskrit).
Sun salutations will be performed on relay basis, it means when a group completes Sun Salutations in Newyork , immediately some other group in Chicago will resume. So this Wave will start in morning from East coast and the last set of Surya Namaskar will be done by a group located in west coast at the time of Sun set.
We look forward for your enthusiastic participation in forming this historic wave.
Those who regularly perform Suryanamaskaras attain healthy long life. They become strong, knowledgeable and have courage to fight with valour. They posses brightened personality.
Please leave us your details in Get in touch section, we will connect you to a pulse of this big wave nearest to you 🙂
The Suryanamaskar is done in more than 40 different styles all over the world.
There are set of well balanced movements that will stretch all the muscles in the body.
HSS has devised a 10-step routine of Surya Namaskar that is simple to follow.
The best time to practice Surya Namaskar is early in the morning on an empty stomach during Sun rise. You may or may not see the sun based on the location of your practice.
Our goal is to promote physical and mental well-being by means of Surya namaskar – a basic sequencs of yogic postures.
Simple asanas (postures) for physical development
Mental, intellectual and spiritual development
Inculcate the Yoga practice in our daily life
Lead a healthy lifestyle with
Yajna generally means sacrifice or service. The meanings of yajna are varied. Yajna can also refer literally to the havan/fire ceremony, where we sit around a fire, placing offerings into the flames. Yajna is normally performed with the objective of ushering in success and/or prosperity. HSS perform Surya Namaskar Yajna with the objective to inculcate the yoga practice, and consequently, health, in our daily life.
Surya Namaskar Yajna is appropriate for every age group with certain limitations and subject to medical conditions. Pregnant women should not practice after first 3 months. People with high blood pressure or heart disease should consult their physician before practicing Surya Namaskar. People with back pain should also consult physician before practicing Surya Namaskar.
Surya Namaskar in a set of ten yoga postures provides good exercise to the whole body, calms the mind, and sharpens the intellect.
- Surya namaskar energizes the entire neuroglandular and neuromuscular system of the body and its regular practice ensures a balanced supply of oxygenated blood and perfect harmony to all the systems of the body thus involves the entire psychosomatic system of human constitution.
- Surya-namaskar is a complete exercise to all the muscles and joints of the body. It tones all the muscles of the body and reduces fat thereby helping to control obesity and metabolism of the body.
- It strengthens the spine and abdominal muscle to control nervous system and activity of the internal organs.
- It expands the rib-caze, increases the capacity of lungs making the breath smooth and easy.
it activates the glands and regulates the hormone.
- It encourage the lymph drainage thereby increasing the immunity and resistance of the body.
- It increases the circulation of whole body thereby acting as an excellent cardiac workout to enhance the blood circulation and warming up the body.
- It increases concentration, memory, learning and focusing ability and vigilance.
- It is relaxing and rejuvenating, and tension, stress and anxiety melt away as you perform Surya Namaskar.
- Surya Namaskar practice stimulates and conditions virtually every system in the body. It is good for the heart and stimulates the cardiovascular system. It oxygenates the blood and helps strengthen the heart.
- Surya Namaskar is good for the digestive system and the nervous system. It stimulates the lymphatic system and supports respiratory system health, as well.
- Surya Namaskar is an excellent alternative to caffeine and other stimulants.
- If you suffer from insomnia or sleep disturbances, you will find practicing Surya Namaskar aids in helping you fall asleep without the need for depressants.
One Surya Namaskar is a sequence of 10 simple asanas (Yoga postures) performed gracefully. Surya Namaskar is a Sun Salutation that is traditionally performed at dawn facing towards the rising sun. Its roots can be found in the yoga philosophy of Vedic traditions. The routine helps develop all five personality levels, namely physical, prana, mental, intellectual, and spiritual. This helps individuals to lead a very healthy lifestyle with a profound sense of well-being. Many tutorial videos can be found over internet.
We have listed many cities which are going to have Yoga day events, you can check this page and see if information about your city is there. If not then try to find a group of Yoga enthusiasts (e.g. Yoga studio) and can gather in any public park on 21 June morning. You can Publicise it using social media, create some posters. We will be happy to publish information of your program on our website.